Friday, July 8, 2011

Loomings

     Call me Ishmael. It is that time in summer when the heat begins to swelter, and one questions why is he confined to walls of a classroom. The mind lazily wanders into thoughts of summer swimming or the cyber world of Facebook. It is in these times, I wander why I confine myself to these walls. Upon reflection, I remember these walls contain my future, my passions, and my growth. In only three weeks, I have already grown in knowledge about education, come to an understanding about what it means to be a professional, and I have strengthened my convictions about why I want to be teacher. My colleagues all told inspiring tales of why they want to be a teacher. When it came my turn, I had no idea what to say, so I muttered a Frederick Douglass quote that always motivated me "give a nigger an el, and he'll take the yard." But that only captures my desired ends, not my reasons for teaching. While I could write for three hours to fill this blog about how my mother inspired me, how I love working with children, or the satisfaction I receive from watching a pupil revel in an "ah-ha" moment. Instead, I reflect back on my college graduation. In her speech, the President discussed what it means to graduate with a University degree from a public University. It means that the public has invested in you, now, you must invest yourself in the public. Be the change you wish to see in the world. John Dewey spoke of schools being place for social change, and he was right (for better or worse). Social change can occur on the smallest level. Call me an idealist, but I believe that by changing, bettering, and freeing the mind of each individual student will ignite a social change, one for the better. Let us not perish in the wake of the white whale of social change but push forth into placid waters free of our own social self-destruction.
     However, this desire of teaching to ignite social change comes at a very interesting time in our world history. The Internet revolution that began in the 1990's continue to revolutionize our society. Therefore the incorporation of technology into the classroom is one of the most important things we have to consider as a teacher. In class on Friday we discussed some pros and cons of involving technology in the classroom, but I worry how this can be done effectively. I remember back when I was in elementary, middle, and high school that every time we went to the computer lab or involved technology in the classroom it was generally a blow off class because the students knew more about the technology than the teacher. I hope this course prevents that from happening to me as I am not a huge technology person. I carry romantic visions in my head of incorporating film, audio, and computers, but where should the line be drawn? I hope J, K, or you guys have the answers because I don't.

8 comments:

  1. I loved your Frederick Douglass quote in class on Friday! His narrative had a real impact on me when I read it for American Lit. a few years ago. I agree with your beliefs that social change can happen with individualized students. We can only do so much as individuals, but by impacting the lives of each student we encounter in our careers as teachers--we can widen our scope of impact. With each student's graduation from high school, it means more arrows being flung out into all avenues of the world. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put my friend. I really liked your point about when you were in school and you would be able to screw around because you knew more about computers then the teacher. The same was the case for myself. Kids are getting more and more tech savvy by the day, so what do we do as teachers? Do we just continue to learn about new tech and hope to stay ahead of our students, or do we find a way to regulate their access to tech in our class room? Hopefully we all can work together to figure this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share the same fear that my students will know more about technology than I will and view any attempt on my part to incorporate it in class to be a joke. Part of the problem is getting the right tools into the classroom. Students have smart phones or at least know how to use their friends or parents smart phones to search on the internet or watch movies...and when their teacher wheels in the VHS/24 inch screen TV combo, the teacher immediately loses credibility!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your thoughts on the incorporation of technology and classroom teaching. You touch on a good point, which others have commented on, and that is the fear that students will know more about technology than I do. Kids that we will teach will have been brought up having been introduced to technology at a very early age, much earlier than we were, and therefore we as teachers may lose credibility by not knowing how to run things/work things properly. I would be interested to pursue some answers to Kyle's questions posed above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its really nice how you want to invest in the public and give back. Without idealists there would be no progress, and by touching even one student you can ignite difference in the world. I agree it is hard to know where to draw the line with technology in the classroom...I think when in doubt draw it closer to the real-life books instead of anything virtual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought your Frederick Douglass quote was great, too! I was definitely like, "Wow he just said something smart, now I have to say something smart," lol. I appreciated the reference because it was a great example of how we can draw from social influences and ideas, even those made years before our time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots to think about here, Ish. For the moment, I'll just say that I don't think that all that much has changed with regard to tech in schools, and the fact that most students can make things work much more effectively than most students. This, in turn, leads me to suggest that this is something to use, rather than to lament. If the students know their way around technology, or are more fearless about trying it out, that's an asset to you. I think that Kristin and I would hope that you would invest *most* of your time in thinking about how this or that tech tool can help you reach your teaching goals. I would strongly encourage you to let this dynamic work for you, and in so doing to offer your students a way to bring their skills/abilities into school in a productive way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure seems funny that a president of a university thinks that the public "invested" in my education, because thousands and thousands of dollars in student loan debt says I did! Sure does make me feel like knocking peoples' hats off (taking to the sea, brb...)

    Anyway, I would agree that the public invests in children from elementary school on, and in that sense, I (we all) should be bringing that investment back. Although, I should add that we should be returning the investment plus interest; every new teacher has the ability to make a better learning environment for their students than what they had going through school.

    ReplyDelete